Hello all!
I really enjoyed Thursdays lecture on media and its influence on society today.
First off I think it is crazy how much people take advantage of language and take it apart on a daily basis. Short forms are handy when sending a quick email or a brief text but they do not help language to develop at all. I know I have used the occasional netspeak but I found once I got a Blackberry with t9 it is actually easier and faster to type the full word rather than attempt to short form it.
Also when Scott Pound was going through his slide show I noticed he passed over a picture of the Mona Lisa. The Mona Lisa is a very recognizable and famous image that has been recreated thousands of times in different ways. In McDonalds they even used to have a picture of Mona Lisa eating french fries. Seeing all these images made me have a preconceived notion of what the painting actually looked like.
This past summer I actually visited Paris and had the opportunity to see the original Mona Lisa. The picture in this blog is my photo I took of the Mona Lisa thanks to my digital camera. Surprisingly it was much smaller in person than I had thought and technology had made me believe otherwise for so long. This shows the difference technology has on how we percieve things that are real or creates things that are actually false.
On another note, I think the last assignment we have to do is a lot different than the others and it should be interesting how they all turn out.
See you tomorrow!

I wasn't in class on Thursday, but it sounds like I missed an interesting class. I agree about t9, I also think that not everything in society has to do things (such as t9), things can just be. Finally...you lucky duck, going to Paris:)
ReplyDeleteI agree that t9 is faster to type the full work rather than the short form. I know my phone doesn't recognize short forms and texting would just take twice as long.
ReplyDeletePs. Love the title, very creative!