Sunday, January 24, 2010

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Backpack



Inspiration comes at the oddest times. Just as I was contemplating on how to start off this blog I was flicking through the channels on tv and stopped on the comedy network. I went back to the computer, letting the tv play in the background when a few words caught my attention: "Now it is time for the black clip of the week" The clip showed a large Caucasian woman dancing in a loose manner, which I suppose could be interpreted as "black" dancing.
If my mind was not in the "Racism blog" mindset that it was in I may have not caught on to that sublte bit of racism.
Racism is something that is too natural these days. But I think like stated in class, people are hailed and interpolated by racist ideals.
Everyone is guilty for saying a racist comment or laughing at a racist joke at one point in time.

The title of my blog comes from an article I read in my Womens studies course last year. The article talks about the privileges that come with being a "white" person that one is not even aware of. It is a privilege that many are not aware of and most likely do not take advantage of.

On another note, I am not sure if it is just me or other people feel the same way but I think the papers are getting harder, not easier as time goes on!

Any thoughts?

******PS: The picture I have for this blog is not used to condone racism in any way, it simply depicts the ignorance of some people. I do not support racism either. Thanks!******

"you know you love me, xoxo"

2 comments:

  1. I liked your blog, title and picture. I think they all display just how ingrained racism is in our society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the comment you have made about the picture. It is unfortunate how this picture shows the way people in the world think.

    ReplyDelete