
Hello all.
So the theory of discussion this week was feminism.
I have learned about feminism a lot in my university career thus far, beginning with a Womens Studies Class in my first year. Feminism was also carried into other courses like Intro Sociology, Family Sociology, Intro to Thinking Philosophy and even other English courses.
By now one would assume I should be a feminism expert, or even a feminist myself, but I still find I learn new things each time this particular topic arises.
As a woman, I am suppressed frequently in this patriarchal society we live in, and most of the time I am completely unaware of it even happening because it has always been part of my life.
Feminism includes things like sexism, and with deep thought I have realized that sexism and gender are deeply embedded in my life.
First off, I am a dancer, which stereotypically is a "girl thing". Over the course of my dancing career thus far (16 years) I have only ever had one boy or two in my classes.
Second, I have worked a few different jobs in my life. My first job was at a hotel in banquets (which I still work at). For a dinner you need waitresses and bartenders. I am a waitress, and all the other waitresses are female as well. All of our bartenders are male. And I don't think that is just a coincidence. I used to work at a Tim Hortons as well and the counter staff there are most commonly females as well. At the one I worked at all the staff was girls except for one male who worked in the back as a baker.
I find it so wierd that jobs that don't seem gender specific have specific genders working them anyways. Perhaps my employers only chose to hire people of those specific genders. Or maybe even the potential employees applied for the specific job because they felt they were the proper gender for it. Maybe its both.
Feminism and patriarchy are battles that I think will always be fought because the ideals of patriarchy are so engrained in our society. Change is happening but there is still room for more. There is always room for more.
"you know you love me, xoxo"

Love the title!
ReplyDeleteVery creative
For the most part I agree...except one of my bosses said younger girls are normally bartenders because they get bigger tips. How brutal is that?!
ReplyDeleteYou guys would never believe I had a conversation remarkably similar to this post, and that's not the wierd part. At the restaurant where I work, it was with an ex-heavy machine operator who had opted to go to college. A typical, older dude with a mustache. Personally, I would never expect a guy like that to talk about stuff like sexism and gender in the workplace, but I guess that's just ironic.
ReplyDelete