Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Canadian Psycho



Hello all!
So the topic of discussion this past week was Freud's Psychoanalysis
I found it was really interesting, and the TA Kaitlyn did an amazing job teaching the class. With the smaller class size and her relaxed attitude, it was really easy to learn and comprehend the lesson.
Kaitlyn also did a good job of applying the elements of psychoanalysis to modern day topics and issues it made the lesson even more enjoyable and easy to remember.
Some examples that were discussed in class that stuck in my mind were the Iceberg example and the Kanye-TSwift example.
The Iceberg example was used to describe the human conscious and unconscious. Above the water, at the tip of the iceberg is the conscious. It is what everyone can see, and we are quite aware of it. We can also see how big it is. Below the water is the preconsious, superego, ego, Id, and the unconscious. These all bulk together to make the iceberg even bigger and more complicated than what it appears to be on the surface.
The other example involving singers Kanye West and Taylor Swift was used to describe Freud's theory about women. How Freud thinks of women relates to what Kanye West did to Taylor Swift at the MTV VMA's. Freud believes men are superior to women, and women are jealous of men because they do not have the same, ahem, equipment as them.
All in all, I found myself engaged in this class in a different way than I was engaged in every other lecture.
Can't wait for Thursday's lecture! :)
Cheers to learning. Knowledge is Power!

"you know you love me, xoxo"

1 comment:

  1. when I first read Freud's theory I was actually a little offended and I never thought it was applicable in real life...I guess I was wrong

    ReplyDelete