
Hello all!
So this week in class we discussed the Deconstruction theory, and its relation to Structuralism.
Previous to the class, I felt pretty good about the topic of Deconstruction.
When I read the readings I got through all of it and I really truly understood the concept of Deconstruction.
I am usually pretty quiet in class, so when Dr. Pound asked the class what the two ways of identifying something were I had a "lightbulb" moment and found my hand shooting up into the air.
When I was called upon, I said my answer with a little less confidence than what I had 10 seconds ago, but I was correct!
It was an exhilarating feeling to know that I knew what I was talking about.
There are 2 ways to identify something 1) x=y and 2) x is not y
First is x=y, the object has a given identity. The second is x is not y. This simply means that an object is one thing because it is not another. For example, a cat is a cat. It is not a bat, rat, hat, or mat. It is a rat.
There is also the binary opposition. This is when something has an identity based on its polar opposite. You cannot have one without the other. Some examples of this are light/dark, evil/good, black/white, right/wrong and so on.
Now that I have discussed the positivity of understanding the concepts discussed in class, I should now talk about the frustration of not understanding.
This something that Dr. Pound went over with us earlier on in the week. As a class we discussed how it felt to be frustrated and confused with the task at hand and methods we could try to better understand what we were working on. I really enjoyed this discussion and found that I could relate to a lot of the points. My major problem is that when I get stressed and confused I do one of 2 things: 1. I give up and procrastinate. 2. My focus is there, but I become distracted and put my focus towards other things.
I find the later of the two occurs more often, especially when I am studying. I try to focus on my work and I end up cleaning my room, make my bed, clean my closet, refold all the clothes in my drawers, and do just about everything else but my homework.
At least I know I am not the only one out there that gets distracted!
But I should wrap this up and focus on some more homework!
"You know you love me, xoxo"

I find it really funny that I have some of that I feel the same way as you do here. I think I get this theory, but I guess the test is at paper time..and my room is cleanest beofore an exam...odd huh?
ReplyDelete